Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Cutting Edge

by Jeffery Deaver
430 pgs  (Lincoln Rhyme series #14)

In this most recent Lincoln Rhyme book, Rhyme and Sachs are up against a deranged killer obsessed with diamonds. His first victims are an engaged couple whom he follows into a jewelry store and brutally kills. He also tortures and kills the store owner. The police believe they were all simply victims of a violent robbery. But when the case is put before Lincoln, it's soon realized that something far deeper is going on.

The victims begin adding up, and as Lincoln and Sachs pursue him, they begin to learn the killer's profile. They surmise his obsession is with rough diamonds and he seems to be punishing people for "defiling" them by buying cut stones. The media dubs him "The Promiser," and people all over New York are on edge wondering who his next victim will be.

The Cutting Edge is a great example of why I'm still reading Jeffery Deaver's books. This is the 30th of his I've read now, and while some of them are better than others, I've enjoyed all of them. I know there will be twists in the plot, and I try to anticipate the surprises and misdirection I know are coming. But I'm rarely able to guess where they'll come from or how the book will end. This one was another very satisfying story.

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment