Friday, January 2, 2015

A Review of 2014

At the end of every year I like to look back and call out some literary highlights and "lowlights" of the previous year. To start with, I like to list the ten best books I read during the year. That's proved to be a little difficult for 2014 because while I rated three books as 5 stars, there were 22 that I rated as 4 stars. Some of them I had to cut from the list. Here it is:

1.  Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
2.  Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson
3.  The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
4.  The Abominable by Dan Simmons
5.  A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin
6.  The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway
7.  Lock In by John Scalzi
8.  The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
10. The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman

The worst book I read in 2014 - Innocence by Dean Koontz. I had stopped reading Koontz's books years ago and apparently had forgotten why. Innocence reminded me why.

Number of books read during the year - 51

Signings attended - The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore, Beautiful You by Chuck Palahniuk

Books I'm looking forward to that will be published in 2015:

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson
The Martini Shot by George Pelecanos
The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame-Smith
The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Reilly
The Tournament by Matthew Reilly
Funny Girl by Nick Hornby
I Am Radar by Reif Larsen
Inspector of the Dead by David Morrell
World Gone By by Dennis Lehane
The Patriot Threat by Steve Berry
The Border by Robert McCammon
Last Train from Perdition by Robert McCammon
The Devil's Only Friend by Dan Wells
Finders Keepers by Stephen King
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King
The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins
The Map of Chaos by Felix J. Palma

No comments:

Post a Comment