Monday, February 5, 2018

Oathbringer

by Brandon Sanderson
1242 pgs  (Stormlight Archives series #3)

I feel like I should be more embarrassed than I am to admit how excited I get for each book in Brandon Sanderson’s “Stormlight Archive” series. I don’t dress up as a character from the series to go buy the book at midnight release parties or anything, but I do count down the days as the release date approaches. I believe my excitement is justified though. Sanderson is one of my all-time favorite authors, and of all the different series he’s writing, this one is my favorite.

Each installment in the series now comes in longer than the Old Testament, which means there’s A LOT of stuff going on in each book. There are dozens of major characters, there’s no shortage of action, and each of the major and minor story arcs are compelling on their own. To then add all those to a world as fascinating and unique has Sanderson has built, and to incorporate a magic system unlike anything I’m confident has ever been written, makes me feel like maybe I should be spending months making a costume to wear to the midnight release parties for the books.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to attempt any substantive review of the book. If you’re not already reading the series, there’s just too much going on to do it justice. And if you are reading the series, I’d be too concerned about spoilers. So, I’m not going to even try. 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★


No comments:

Post a Comment