Monday, April 22, 2019

The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington

by Brad Meltzer & Josh Mensch
358 pgs

As a writer, Brad Meltzer has his strengths and his weaknesses. I'll start with the latter: his dialogue. I've never been impressed with it. In fact, I was so put off by it in The Inner Circle, that I didn't read another one of his books for seven years. If The Escape Artist hadn't been about Harry Houdini, whom I find fascinating, I probably wouldn't have picked that one up either. Where Meltzer shines, however, is in his ability to dig up interesting, and usually obscure, mysteries and conspiracies from our country's past and build an entertaining plot out of them.

So, when I heard about his latest book, a non-fiction story about a conspiracy to assassinate George Washington, I was pretty confident I was going to like it. It had what I was looking for in a Meltzer book, but, since it was non-fiction, it likely wouldn't have much dialogue written by him. Win-win.

Meltzer tells the story of the conspiracy, which was put into motion during the early months of the Revolutionary War, to kill General Washington. It involved the Governor of New York, who was one of many loyalists to Great Britain living among the colonies at the time, a group of counterfeiters, and an iron mill forman who recruited loyalists to the cause.

My initial assumptions about the book proved true. It showcases what Meltzer is bast at, with little need for what he's weak at. His account of this little-known piece of history is fascinating, and it left me wondering why I'd never heard anything about it before.

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment