Sunday, June 2, 2013

I Travel by Night

by Robert McCammon
147 pgs

It's only been a month or so since I read The Providence Rider and I usually don't read another book by the same author this quickly, but I had been waiting for it to come in the mail for months, and it was so short that I made an exception to my self-imposed rule. Rebellious of me, I know.

I Travel by Night is only a novella, but it's a return for McCammon to the genre that he first made a name for himself in.

Trevor Lawson, a confederate soldier, was turned into a vampire one night after having been injured and left to die on the battlefield in Shiloh. But unlike the others of his kind, who embrace the dark gift when they receive it, Lawson never has, and doesn't intend to. He's been holding on to as much of his humanity as he's been able to for more than twenty years now as he's been searching for the vampire who turned him. He believes that if he's able to find her, and drain her of her vampiric blood, that he might be able to return to his life as a human.

I Travel by Night is a great story but it's too short. Lawson is an intriguing character and one with a lot of potential for additional tales down the road. Hopefully that's McCammon's intention and he's only teasing with this all-too-short introduction to him and the journey he's on.

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment