Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Many Waters

by Madeleine L'Engle

I've had some unread books on my bookshelves for over ten years. Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle is one of those books. I had read A Wrinkle in Time by here as a youth and really enjoyed it at the time, but I wasn't aware then that there were other books featuring the Murry children that she wrote. When I realized there were more, I bought them, but they never seem to float to the top of my to-be-read pile. I finally got around to reading this one, and even though it didn't come close to matching what I remember of AWIT, I'm glad I read it.
The twins, Sandy and Dennys are the central figures in this story as they inadvertently walk in on an unattended experiment going on in their parents' lab. With a loud crack and a wave of heat they find themselvees transported to a seemingly alien desert. They're found by a small man prospecting for water named Japheth who leads them to an oasis where his family and others currently reside. Dennys becomes seriously ill and is cared for by a family led by a man named Noah.
 
As the twins come to realize that their parents' experiment hasn't transported them to another planet, but rather to another time in earth's history, and to a time just prior to the biblical flood, the importance of finding a way back home soon becomes more and more urgent. 
 

★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment